Today marks day three of Going to the Gym. I joined a gym that is about two miles from my house that I literally can, and do, ride my bike to. My old gym was about 11 miles away and could take 12 - 20 minutes to get to, and I couldn't help but be annoyed at the time waste, gas, and mileage it put on my car.
Now when I go to the gym, every minute is spent more productively - I am not wasting gas or putting mileage on my car, I am burning calories and getting cardio in on my way over, and then I am lifting weights and doing a short cardio routine while I'm there. I like that if I forget something it is not a huge ordeal to go back to the house (I HATE exercising without my ipod and if I forget that or my headphones, I am not doing it). If I do forget my ipod, it is immediately apparent anyway, because I wear the headphones loosely around my neck on my ride over. It takes me about 30 minutes round trip to ride there and back and according to an exercise calculator, I am burning close to 300 calories in addition to what I am doing when I'm at the gym.
I just have to stay motivated now. It is important to stay positive, but it is also important to be forgiving of minor setbacks. However, the top priority should be to just do it. No excuses. Headache? Ignore it. Body aches? Push through it, or pop an advil. Too tired? Working out will make you feel better. I've done this before and I can do it again. It is time to make this a part of my daily life again. My schedule has calmed down somewhat and I am not flying international trips that left me dizzy and feeling like crap, eating at odd times. I have so much more control now and I can do this.
