I am becoming quite the cook.
For dinner tonight I grilled (!) some chicken on our Weber grille, boiled up some quinoa, threw in some sauted veggies (basil from my own garden, green onions, mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini, broccoli, and snow peas), and made up a salad.
Using the grill was not quite the success I was hoping for, even though the chicken actually came out delicious. I don't think I let the coals heat for long enough and they weren't really 'going' when I threw them into the grille. I was able to get the chicken breasts cooked though, and they came out perfect and juicy.
I actually enjoy cooking. I can make meatloaf, grilled chicken, spaghetti...My repertoire is not huge, but I guess I can grill up some burgers too, now that I am getting used to using the grill. I especially love to use fresh vegetables. I bet I could make shish ka bobs. My boyfriend likes organic meats and organic milk. Yesterday I made a childhood favorite: Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars, otherwise known as Banana Yuckycakes. It's my mom's recipe, I don't know where she got it but it involved mashed bananas, oats, walnuts, chocolate chips, cinammon, flour...I made mine with whole wheat flour. It's amazing.
My mind is starting to try to figure out what goes into recipes, to see if I can make them at home. I never realized that you can get chicken wings at the store, roll them in sauce, and then grill 'em up. The kids like Mac and Cheese, which is easy enough to make.
Also, in an effort to be a little bit more frugal, I've taken to bringing food with me to work. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches keep well. I try to take some fruit with me and salad accoutrements. I can buy the lettuce at the airport but all the stuff I like on the salad adds up, so I bring that with me. Plus its reasonably healthy. Unfortunately my Ipod stopped working a few weeks ago, so I've been unable to try the yoga video that I had downloaded on it. An Ipod Touch is next on my list.
We are having Chris' parents and the kids stay with us at the end of the month for about five days. I am not exactly freaking out, but I am a bit nervous. I don't really like to entertain, I get anxious over stupid things...and to have someone actually staying in my house?? OMG. Someone give me a Xanax please! Honestly, I think I'll be okay without the meds, but we did stock up on some good liquor. We need somemore wine. Chris' father is a wine afficionado and I fear our little wine collection is lacking. I've had a bottle chilling in the fridge for a few weeks now though. I keep forgetting that it's there. Sadly, I've been waiting for an opportunity to open it and just haven't found the right time. Maybe tonight, if I can convince Chris to take a bikeride.
