Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dreaming of the Dreamhouse

Every year in Lake County the YMCA builds a Dreamhouse. These homes are built by local builders and decorated by local decorators. You can buy a ticket for $12 to take a tour and then your ticket is also entered into a drawing to win the Dreamhouse. If you like it, you can move right in (you've won the furnishings, too), but if you don't there is a cash option. Some years the Dreamhouse is lovely, and some years, like this, it isn't...but the fantasy of winning a fairly upscale home is still worth the ticket price.

Last year, the Lake County Dreamhome was breathtaking. Not only was it energy efficient (the builders claimed it would only cost $1200/year to heat and cool the place), it was just stunningly beautiful. Three bedrooms, a wood panelled office, lovely dining room, huge great room with cathedral ceilings, a kitchen to die for...I could wax poetic about this kitchen - it had a huge walk in pantry, beautiful appliances, granite countertops, fabulous built in cabinetry and large windows. It was bright and airy and every window was covered with plantation shutters. The master bedroom was on one side of the house and it featured a large bathroom, walk in closet, jacuzzi, window seats in the bedroom itself, lots of windows. The other two bedrooms were located on the other side of the house, near the three car garage. It had a back deck and patio, with a built in sink and grill. The basement was also partially finished with a fourth bathroom, secondary kitchen, and an office/bedroom. The house was about 2600 square feet, not gigantic, but perfectly sized.

I mean, the house was just fabulous. I actually felt something akin to lust blossom in my heart. I went back multiple times to look at it.

It is in fact a dream of mine to one day build that house. I'd love to get a parcel of land with lots of trees to build that house on. The stuff I could cook in that kitchen...Oh man. The people who won that house last year actually took the money option though.

I've been thinking lately about what I want. Five years ago, I wanted to own a home. Now I have two. Five years ago, I was miserable on reserve and now I am a lineholder with lots of control over how much or little I can work. Five years ago I was single and unhappy, and now I have Chris and his kids in my life. A lot can change in five years. I don't have any active goals that I am working towards, other than continuing happiness, perhaps eventually moving to a warmer climate and building that house. Continuing to travel. Read books. Enjoy life.