I got to see my nephew (and my brother and sister in law) yesterday. He is getting so big, I can't believe it! He'll grip your finger hard, he can lift his head up little and sometimes roll over. And he is soooo much fun to cuddle. I got to feed him and play with him for awhile, then we had to change his diaper and it turned out he kind of had what we refer to in my family as a 'blow-out'. It wasn't pretty (and it was pretty stinky too) so we threw him in the bathtub to get him cleaned up.
My sister in law has what I can only describe as a baby hammock in a little tub sitting in the bathtub to bathe Scotty in. He didn't so much sit as lounge in it. Scotty appeared to be VERY content. He has a hilarious green komodo dragon towel with a piece that fits over his head and has a green crest and eyes on it. I got him all dried off, put him in his Obama onesie, pulled a pair of overalls on him, and he was good to go. I swear he smiled at me a few times.
I haven't been around babies in a long LONG time, at least 20 years, and I have never had the opportunity to hold and cuddle a baby so much. And you know, its kinda fun. I am not saying that middle of the night feedings, crying babies, diaper bag prep, bath prep etc. is easy...I know a lot of work and organization goes into it and I know there is a lot of sleep deprivation involved. Sometimes, I even kinda sorta maybe might want one of my own, in addition to the two kids my boyfriend has.
Being a parent is interesting and frustrating and cheek bitingly hilarious all at the same time, I am slowly learning. Not only do I feel like I am suddenly in the secret club at work (I always tuned out the men and women who would start talking about their kids - so freaking BORING, right? I used to threaten to show people pictures of my washer and dryer) with my own stories to tell, but I realize that my job has actually been good training for having kids around.
Adults often act like children. You have to give them choices, otherwise they have a hard time deciding things. If you give them an inch, they try to take a mile. Its so true. I never understand when parents ask their kids what they want to drink and the kid pipes up, "COKE!" If I have kids, they will not be drinking coke...they'll get juice or milk or water, and none of that flavored water crap. With my luck, I would probably get a kid who didn't like water. I can't imagine a picky eater kid coming from MY loins. Hah. Which is ridiculous because it turns out my nephew has food allergies, soy and dairy.
I digress. I had a wonderful time watching my little baby nephew. He is so unutterably precious. I never imagined I would love him so much.
