The other day I came home to some interesting mail. It was a single page informing me that I was somehow entitled to a mortgage reduction of $48,000 per some government intervention and I should check out http://www.mmaoption.com/ for more information. The letter even provided me with my own pin number to convey a certain governmental officiality.
So, me being me, I hopped online. I admit, I was curious. Skeptical, but curious. I typed in the web address and was auto-redirected to a different website, http://www.ufirstfinancial.com/. It's not a name that rings any bells. I scanned the website for some useful information but didn't really find any other than apparently this company offers some sort of program that allows me to manipulate my debt by something called strategic interest cancellation. Oh, and it wanted my name and address so it could send me stuff. Um, HELLO? You already sent me stuff. Clearly you already know where I live. Of course, the government is not involved in this, either.
There was also a video about how this debt manipulation thing, called a money merge account, works. It turns out that for a nominal fee (of about $3500) they will send you some software that will look over your finances and then add all the money that you have leftover every month and put it toward your mortgage so you can pay it off early.
Well, I don't want to pay my mortgage off early, and I don't need your stinky expensive software to do it, either, if I wanted to.
I love my shredder. That's exactly where this note went.
