Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Hospitals and Car Problems

Its been a hectic week.

Last Tuesday, my boyfriend's son was taken to the hospital with stomach pains. Liam suffers from Crohn's disease, and he's very young for such an affliction. He is on medication for it and for the most part, the Crohn's is controlled, but one of his meds can cause pancreatitis and that's what happened. One of his enzyme levels was super high and his mom ended up driving him to the Cleveland Clinic, where they stayed until this past Sunday.

The relationship between an ex and a girlfriend is odd. I don't think I will ever be friends with my boyfriend's ex-wife but I can certainly be friendly to her. I told her she could stay at my house while this whole thing was going on. I brought stuff to the hospital for them, my netbook computer, headphones for Liam, movies. I even drove down to the small town where they live to get my boyfriend's daughter so she could be close by (its over a 300 mile roundtrip). I picked up clothing for everyone and brought a picture of Liam's 8 year old girlfriend to him. While this was going on, I ran laundry for the kids and drove back and forth to the hospital every day.

And then the wheel fell off my car.

Yes. It's true. I was on my way to the hospital when I made a last minute decision to not get on the highway and instead go to the library. That decision probably saved my life. I know, dramatic, right? About three weeks ago I had a new tire put on my car at BJs Wholesale Club. They didn't tighten the lugnuts. All of them fell off my car and caused the tire and rim to fall off the hub. In shock, I watched the damn thing roll across the street and up onto the sidewalk. I was a block from my mechanic.

Thankfully, the tire hit no one when it fell off my car. The whole thing caused at least $2000 of damage. So then I had to get my car in the shop, make arrangements for a rental, call my insurance, coordinate with BJ's and the whole thing.

All is well that ends well though, Liam is doing much better and is out of the hospital (his enzyme levels slowly evened out but he has to be on a low fat diet for the next month and a half or so) and my car is being fixed. I am back to work and should be home Wednesday night. Hopefully I will get some Christmas shopping in this weekend. AND we get the kids again! YAY!