Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Temper Tantrums

I believe in karma. The whole what-goes-around-comes-around philosophy really appeals to me. I don't believe the universe likes to be out of balance and I think that how you treat others will eventually come back to haunt you.

In general, I am a pretty much keep quiet and stay out of the way sort of person, but I hate injustice and am easily outraged when the situation warrants. Point in case: My boyfriend and I went to Scotland about a month ago. We didn't have a lot of time to spend so we got out right away and went sightseeing. Edinburgh, as I have mentioned, is stunningly beautiful and we lucked out with some lovely weather. Our first stop, however, was the ATM machines around the corner from the hotel.

Now, when we got there, all four ATMs were occupied and there was no line so we waited for one to open up. Unbeknownst to us, a line had formed behind us. When one became available, Chris and I walked over to it but a Scottish girl started yelling at us.

"Excuse me! There is a queue over here! You're cutting the queue!"

Astonished, I turned around to see that there were about five people in a line that had not been there a few minutes ago. As I made this move, the girl cut around me and took the ATM machine. With me, tiredness and ire do not go well together and my temper, which seems to be permanently set on low boil bubbled right over the top of the pot.

"WHAT??? I've been STANDING on line!!! We were here first!! WHAT DID YOU THINK I WAS DOING HERE???"

She ignored me. Everyone else probably thought I was some crazy American girl. No one stepped in or said anything. Then the ATM right next to her opened up and I hopped on it, but I couldn't keep my mouth shut.

"Is it okay with you if I use this machine now? DO I HAVE YOUR PERMISSION??? JESUS!!! LINE CUTTER!!"

As you can see, I am not always at my best under trying circumstances. But I know that somewhere down the road, someone will cut this girl off, or sideswipe her car, or have a loud party while she's trying to sleep or something in punishment for cutting in line and being a bitch to me.

And if karma doesn't catch up with you, I am sure my temper will.