Friday, December 12, 2008

Somehow He Knows Too!

The other day, Chris and I were going to do some Christmas shopping. I wanted to go to Target, but there were a couple other stores on our list, most of which were further away. As we were driving down the road, Chris asked me which store I wanted to hit first. I said I didn't care but he persisted and I said that we could go to Target or any of the other stores. I mean, it really wasn't a big deal, but really, I wanted to go to Target.



So he says, So you really want to go to Target first. And I said, Well, yeah, but it doesn't really matter. (But it really did, I don't know why) So Chris said that we would go to Target first. I laughed after we had this exchange. How did he know I really wanted to go to Target? Why hadn't I just told him I wanted to go to Target in the first place? Did I somehow luck out (I like to think that I did)?



I guess, logically, it didn't matter where we went but in my irrational little heart it really did matter. And my boyfriend was smart enough and astute enough to pick up on small vocal cues and other nonverbal hints to be able to discern my true intent.



I remember dating my first serious boyfriend years ago. While he was an extremely nice man, he just didn't have that much insight. I wonder now how much that had to do with age and just basic life inexperience as opposed to who he actually was. Is this something men develop after years of studying women? Do only a few men actually get it? Is this something that varies like eyecolor or musical ability? Did I somehow luck out? (I like to think that I did.)



I was tickled by this whole exchange between me and Chris. And I was very pleased. I'm not always the best at communicating what I want because sometimes I don't know what I want right away. But oftentimes I'm leaning in a particular direction. It's nice to know Chris is able to somehow see this.